Translate

Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Bingo!

What a silly day. Not so much silly as weird. Like people coming in and disrupting my office while I was in the middle of doing something and they didn’t even notice. Reality checking was so far away today. A man of 69 appears to have shot dead his wife, 61, in a store in town and probably set their apartment on fire before he killed her. This is so unlike Adelaide. Then a train derailed in Queensland and it appears its driver was going too fast. 120 people hurt but no one killed which was a miracle because so many carriages derailed on this high-speed train. (High speed for us!) What is going on with everyone? Here it was unusually hot and we have had all this cold and wet. Maybe the heat went for people and boiled their brains. What was that probable domestic all about at 69 years old? It’s so weird. I got home and thought all would be well…apart from my broken fridge which’ll be replaced Friday…hoorah (believe it or not they were going to charge me 30 dollars to unwrap it and plug it in! I love the service we get these days.) Anyway, there was a note in the letterbox to say a courier had tried to deliver some software I’d ordered would I ring and maybe they’d charge me for re delivering it! What’s wrong with leaving at the post office like everyone else does?? So I rang. The girl was a bit sharp and tut tutting. Would someone be home on Friday? Was I sure? If someone brought it round, would I be there? I was somewhat taken aback. I don’t suffer from the heat. I love it. I thought maybe she was a bit hot and bothered so I didn’t say things like…well, you’re working, so am I. If you say someone will be home, do you deliberately go out to miss the parcel you wanted delivered?? I thought of all these things. I talked her through it. Yes, someone would be home…the fridge was coming! No, no one would go out just so the house would be empty again when driver number 16 arrived. Can’t wait for the fridge and the software…and I fixed the discman!!! Couldn’t believe it. The laser eye unit had slid into the wrong place so I slid it back and Bingo! By Friday night it will be as though Monday hadn’t happened. In the meantime, it has just been too weird for me.

No comments: