Translate

Friday, April 22, 2022

New Dymocks book store

 

dymocks book store adelaide

Well, it is not actually new, but Dymocks  in the city mall has a new , swish venue. It was heartwarming to hear that people in Adelaide had got there really early in the morning to visit the new premises . It was wonderful to hear the queue had been very long and Adelaide people were still so much in love with books. It was reassuring to know that Dymocks has just endured and grown stronger in the Mall , no matter what. We had a Borders store in the Mall  close by to Dymocks which opened with much fanfare, enticed and entranced everyone and then it closed down. I loved Borders. It was a whole new book experience but always ended up at Dymocks afterwards on the same day to get the other sorts of books I wanted. Both stores had a wide range of books and were well stocked. Dymocks endured because it is solid. It has a loyal community. It is a great shop to buy calendars for the new year. It has book type gifts which make great presents. It offers a sound selection of foreign language books. It really does bargains when it is has a markdown table and I have found some fabulous books on those tables. I have also found great cookery books and then good books for children and for my own reading. Dymocks offers what readers want and if you are a lover of sitting with a real book and just enjoying it, then Dymocks does not let you down. It is the range and then the efficient, professional service. I am looking forward to seeing Dymocks in its new home. 

It is sad the Regent Theatre is no longer open but I feel Dymocks is a worthy successor to the venue. The Regent will hold memories for many people in Adelaide but sadly cinemas seem to be losing their place in the lifestyle we live now and coronavirus has damaged things which were important to us.  This particular changeover is a good one. We could not stop the Regent from losing trade, but we can bring people back to the venue so they can enjoy the beauty of it and celebrate our love of books. So many Adelaide people are big readers. The pandemic has disrupted some readers, I know. They just can't sit and read a book anymore. My way is to sit and read a chapter, maybe two , a night. It is how I have held on to my reading. A book brings you a perspective nothing else can. I did not want to lose my connection to reading. Hopefully this new Dymocks will rekindle that love of reading we have always valued. My approach means I read at least a dozen books a year. I am happy with that. 

There is a lovely review of the new store on Play&Go.

You can find the Adelaide store on Facebook and read how heartwarmed they were they got so much support when they reopened. 

No comments: