Translate

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Yoo-hoo from Ubuntu!

That's it -my Ubuntu desktop!! Clean. The taskbar at the top and the one at the bottom are all you need. It was not without trepidation that I embarked upon my Linux journey, but I am always up for a learning curve on computers! I got out my poor  overheating NEC and figured I could do no harm. Blogging about it the other night gave me this idea. What if? What have I got to lose? You know you want to! I got out my Mandrake disks, set the computer up to boot from the CD, got half way through the load and pfft. Nothing. So then I got out my Mandriva disk. That loaded and wouldn't charge the battery. Not that it mattered. I was running from mains and an ethernet connection. I recognised Konquerer from day I had put a Konquerer CD into my old desktop and rescued a file or two I needed to reboot my unbootable computer. That was so hard! So...then I remembered I had apc disks and found one with Ubuntu 6 point something. It loaded. The cool chocolate desktop and choice of screensavers impressed me .Yes, that's what I like!! So then it decided to do 325 updates. Okay...Oooh, running a bit warm. I played with it a bit ,went on the Net had no  problems except I was in Firefox 1.5. Then I had another update notification...1250 updates and I tell you, they were coming down at over 300kb per second and I have NEVER had that kind of speed in Windows. Two magazines, 3 chapters of my book and a lot of gasbagging later...I was installed. Ubuntu is really nice and my poor NEC is managing.  I am looking forward to discovering Ubuntu 8.04!!

No comments: