Translate

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Labour plan to teach healthy eating

Labour plan to teach healthy eating : "Children at almost 200 primary schools would learn how to make healthy meals from food they grow themselves under a federal Labor plan to tackle childhood obesity."

A lot of children play sport, perform in choirs and theatre, have music lessons but there is not a lot on offer fro the quieter, more introspective students. A lot of kids love dirt and water. I believe the area school at Ceduna has a programme where students participate in gardening. I also believe some schools build gardens and sanctuaries for different purposes. Herbs and veggies are obvious things to grow. It would help solve the problem of food waste, it would teach sustainability and it would let students who like plants and flowers get down and dirty in the same way as some kids love to run and jump. It would be fresh air and exercise and then they would probably find eating the stuff irresistible. For senior students, the fresh food would be perfect in their hospitality classes in much the same way our chefs have their own kitchen gardens near their kitchens. I love this idea. I learned horticulture as part of my primary education and the lessons have stayed with me all my life. It made me appreciate and respect nature and taught me some sensible skills I could build on later in life.

No comments: