Translate

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Energy police

Channelnewsasia.com: "'Energy audit teams' will begin unannounced spot checks next week of government offices, colleges and universities and state-owned corporations to ensure they meet the guidelines, Energy Undersecretary Peter Abaya said.

Under the new rules, government buildings must replace ordinary light bulbs with energy-saving fluorescent lamps and set air conditioning units at 25 degrees Celsius, turning them off an hour before the close of office hours, Abaya said."

I love the sound of this...the Energy Police. Spot checks on buildings and organisations to see if they are being energy efficient. No idling of vehicles in parking lots...I love it!! As an energy conservationist and a recycler from way back I have been stunned at how we just waste resources and pay no heed and don't mind if things get damaged because " the insurance will pay for it". This whole notion of waste is anathema to be. I have always tried to lead by example rather than censure. I have always tried to facilitate the conservation of our non renewable resources. I am not a green nutter...I just want plants, trees, animals, clean air and an end to wanton waste!! I think all countries should have conservation police! I can't believe, for instance, that people still use incandescent ighting when you can show them the fluorescent and energy saving globes, although dearer to start with, save so much money and energy in the long term. They still refuse to buy them. They still insist on leaving lights on...and I am so sick and tired of gadgets with lights and lamps you do not need. When it's off , it should be off. There is no need for a little light on everything. Please, bring me the conservation police!!

No comments: