Translate

Friday, July 22, 2005

Money laundering

The Australian: Laws to clean up money laundering :

"Experts on the subject indicated that about $15 billion in 'dirty money' was being laundered in Australia each year."

How can it be dirty money if it has been laundered? I am so surprised to find out that our money laundering legislation only required banks to report money laundering. Well, that'll help! $15 billion is a lot of billion. Who is doing this? What are they getting out of it? I am dumbstruck. I thought we had got this all under control when we put out our plastic play money. We were told we had all this new currency because it was so difficult to forge. It drove us all crazy because it was so slippery and thick. We are used to it, but I still don't like it. It was nice to have my hands on real paper money recently. But that's why we had the plastic money ...to stop laundering. Though I can understand why we have so much. You can actually wash this money and it comes out perfectly after the wash. From that point of view I have been glad because it used to be horrible to find the mangled paper money in your pocket after you'd washed your clothes.

No comments: