Translate

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Girl born from frozen egg.

Girl born from frozen egg. :

"A South Australian girl is believed to be the first in Australia to be born from a frozen egg."

As usual, I haven't got enough information here, but we've got our first frozen embryo fertilisation. I don't quite understand why it is a problem to have a fertilised egg/embryo transplanted and okay to use a frozen one if the biological parents are the couple involved. The couple opted for frozen because of their religious beliefs. Egg fertilisation is making it possible for people to have children who previously couldn't, but I know from a friend that the IVF programme can be quite tough on you physically. For her, it was never successful and that was so sad to listen to when she finally talked about it. There was also the court case in France, I think it was, where a woman asked the court to use the frozen sperm of her dead husband so that she could have his baby. She won the case but I have never seen anything about whether she had a baby or not. What happens to the frozen eggs and sperm if someone dies or if they get divorced? I can see there might be some interesting legal ramifications down the track. For now, I am sure Mr and Mrs Kurtzer are so delighted to have their new little daughter. May she bring them as much pleasure and joy as mine has.

No comments: