Translate

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Indigenous tourism in the spotlight

Indigenous tourism in the spotlight:

"The Australian Indigenous Tourism Conference (AITC) will be an educational forum that will reinforce the need for sustainable indigenous tourism that will “benefit the community and create a sense of pride and long term employment”."

Having just been to Vanuatu where the locals and tourists mixed and matched and shared I can only encourage this for Australia. The ni-vanuatu can seem to live their tribal life or come to town as they wish. They can seem to see the benefits of both types of life. We certainly benefitted from their way of living and they could share the things we had to share. I was particularly impressed with the co operative nature of the place and the way in which their life style was shared so freely with tourists. It did make me think of how little I had seen of the aboriginal life style and how isolated I was from their skills and thoughts. As tourists we supported their skills and their incomes and we received in return a different way of looking at the world and things we couldn't do ourselves. I found this in NZ too, that I was able to share some of the Maori things with the Maori people because it was set up in a way which kept both cultures in a safe environment. Do it!

No comments: