Translate

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Dell Inspiron 1525

I'm in the dingly Dell!! I have a new Dell Inspiron. I have quite a history with laptops now and quite a lot of experience. For a techno noddy, I am doing okay. The NEC laptop which was lovely was given to my daughter and she did heaps of graphic things on it. Graphics and music. That's her. It had years of constant use. When I installed the new ADSL 2+ high speed wifi broadband, the NEC just couldn't cope and started to overheat. There's a lot about it on the Net. So daughter got my Presario. Well, it lost the sound, downloading and played up something unreal. So I took it back on and used it mainly for my own purposes but then it wouldn't go on the Net and couldn't access the new wifi. I tried recovery and it got even worse. I was limited in what I could do, what I could use for a browser and French sites were a big no no. I googled the drivers and the Vista drivers for that laptop had plenty of issues. So I loaded XP...can you understand now why I wasn't blogging in the new year??!! The XP drivers were brilliant but the loading of XP lost sound, graphics, USB controllers and all sorts of other stuff which was in the the recovery partition but not accessible. I downloaded a lot of stuff and got it all okay except for the scrolling. In the meantime I replaced daughter's laptop with a Toshiba Satellite. Absolutely brilliant. Cruisy as. Great. Then I found out Kevin Rudd was going to give me money. So I have given my Presario to someone who really needed a laptop. He has it working brilliantly because he reloaded Vista and got HP to do some diagnostics and it works fine on his broadband which is not like mine. So...then I had to use the MacBook from work. It's nice enough. Just not me. It's for someone who isn't me and I have battled away with it trying to feel at home. It hasn't happened yet. When I found the government money was coming and I gave the Presario to a deserving person I went back to see the techie where I had bought  the Toshiba because the plan was to buy another. They had one but not as good as the one I had bought. I was going to say, see you later, but the techie asked me to give Dell a whirl. He had to be joking. I wouldn't touch Dell with a 10 foot barge pole. So he just let me have a look at what else they had and I was going to go. He persuaded me to look at the Dell Inspiron 1525. He told me Dell had fought back and were producing some good laptops. I was dubious. I tried it. It was pretty cool. Graphically not as slick as the Toshiba, but cool. I bought it and I can tell you , I had the shock of my life. It comes packaged with SOFTWARE. It has CDs. I have copies of everything which is loaded. it has a recovery partition too, but I do not have to make my own disks (which were great with the NEC and not very helpful with the Presario). I have CDs, I have manuals, I have an online support centre. I have not had any interference or taking over of my machine. The Dell is very dingly and helpful. It is pleasantly polite and has heralded a new era in laptopping for me. I am sick of fighting them. This Dell is running TV for me. I still have a couple of glitches to sort out, but it's good. I am so at home and I set it up to suit myself in 30 minutes. That was a record. I am stoked!! The last laugh has to go to the Toshiba , though. It comes preloaded with Vista Business and daughter has loaded Office 2007 and Adobe CS. She is as pleased as punch. We looked at the back up disks which come with her laptop....and there is one to downgrade it to XP!! Love it.

No comments: