Translate

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Nine-year-old girl indecently assaulted

Nine-year-old girl indecently assaulted : "'They were in front of the TV and I was just right around the corner and I could hear them laughing and watching cartoons and I thought, 'okay, they're safe', and I was actually glad there was something there to keep them occupied,' she told reporters."

It's horrible you cannot even take children shopping and I have noticed our public toilets are underused since the assaults last year. People have to keep children on a tight rein and it doesn't mean, as I recently experienced, that you should let children rampage wildly up and down the store making a huge racket and playing hide and seek and chasie around the displays while you are nowhere to be seen. Most parents know where their children are and most children appreciate watching a bit of tele or looking at displays but knowing you are close by. To safeguard them from attacks like this you virtually have to have them holding your hand all the time and right next to you. It's unhealthy but the consequences now are too extreme. I hope they find this man from the surveillance footage because Officeworks doesn't deserve the random stigma either. I don't know what goes on in people's heads these days and we need to find out so we can stop it. We also need to reassure the little girl and the other children they will be safe but it's way too much information for them and a very tricky thing to deal with so it doesn't set off a fearful response when they and their accompanying adults go out.

No comments: