Translate

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

More Aussies holidaying at home

AdelaideNow... More Aussies holidaying at home: "'Now Aussie families are rediscovering great experiences in their own backyard, not only having a great family break but also injecting millions of valuable dollars into regional communities,' Tourism Minister Fran Bailey said."

It was a hard decision, but it was the right one. I decided to spend my dollar at home this year. It means my dollar will help our businesses which have been hit hard by the drought. We do care about each other and it is important for us to know that everyone is okay here before we go wandering off. The drought has affected so many people and so it's about using the leverage we have to ensure families and businesses are stable. Secondly, I spend a lot of time being the tourist and finding my way around other places and it is sheer delight. I figured I should do that here. Treat my own country as the tourist spot and rediscover it in the way I discover other countries. The annoying thing is everything here is about don't hang around in the hotel...go out all day, forever. I need to be able to take a break and have a place to just be my home away from home. I don't want a crash pad. I also find it's all set up for couples and given how many singles and parent - child families we have, it's bad to feel as though you are odd when you are not. It's all about romantic this and that which I am happy to do, but I want to travel alone or with my offspring sometimes and Australia is not geared for that. They are missing out on all those independents out there who need to be made to feel at home in their own country. In a French environment I am not viewed as odd if I go to a cafe myself and sit and read or just enjoy the view and as a lone traveller I can be made to feel more at home. The third reason I have foregone my OS trip is to save carbon and energy. I am doing my bit to change the weather. That is important to me.

No comments: