Translate

Saturday, April 16, 2011

Cadillac Records

Cadillac Records is a great film for a weekend afternoon. It has had it fair share of knocks, I know but I don't really know why. I loved the music. I thought it was entertaining, moving and the actors were well chosen for the parts. We had an age range watching it and everyone was enjoying it. Beyonce was a bit of a surprise for me because she wasn't too bad at all in her part and infact the director Darnell Martin had chosen her actors well so that they could get through to you and try and replicate the life and times of those blues singers. There were some notables like Bo Diddley missing and that might have been deliberate or to do with legal issues. Bo Diddley was certainly a ground breaker in those times as were the ones like Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf who were portrayed in the film. I guess I felt most for Howlin Wolf as he was portrayed and Little Walter. Eamon Walker did a great job as Howlin' Wolf but Columbus Short as Little Walter could really make you feel. It looks at the development of the blues singers and how they influenced the Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones but it is basically a human relationships film and gives plenty to think about without hammering it home. 

No comments: