Translate

Monday, July 09, 2007

Mature-age workers pessimistic over future

Mature-age workers pessimistic over future : "A survey by career management firm Linkme.com.au found that nearly three-quarters of Australians believe that by the age of 50 finding new employment is almost impossible."

Well, they may think it , but is it impossible and have we reconfigured our job market to cater to the search needs of mature age workers? From where I sit , trying to get a job while you are young is pretty tough too. I am watching the new job hunting regime from close up and it is not easy for tertiary trained people to get a job. Lots of retail, lots of call centres and a lot of expectation you have done the job when in actual fact you have been studying. So today was interesting for me. I went into my supermarket and my check out lady was not very happy because there was a staff shortage and it seems to have been like that in many places just lately. We are not being served . They used to open extra check outs. One department store has do it yourself checkouts which means people are not being paid to do the job. They are not opening the fast lanes and so people who work in the stores and supermarkets are embarrassed to be providing us with poor service because they know how it was and so do we. Then I was at a car yard because I have just changed my car. The guy who served me had retired and had come back to work because he was happier that way. He was happy. He was easy to deal with, he knew his cars and the job. He didn't sit comfortably with the computer but he will in time and I bought that car because I had faith in his knowledge and capacity to answer my many questions. The young guy I dealt with was also okay but the difference was I could unsettle him more easily and yet he also was good at his job. There needs to be a good mix. Older people keep the companies and organisations stable and know the routines. The newer ones can take some of the risks and put themselves out there a bit to try the new stuff and the truth is, like this car company I have just dealt with, there can be some good sharing of skills and expertise across age groups and it makes for a strong work force.

No comments: