Translate

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Cafe's free meal not good enough

AdelaideNow... Cafe's free meal not good enough:

"But Marie Ryan, 52, has sent a complaint to the Equal Opportunity Commission, saying she is still angry that she and her family were told by the manager they could only sit in a concreted outer section on August 11."

In a way, I am glad this has happened because I thought SA was right up there in the treatment and management of vision impaired people. I thought we all knew that guide dogs were allowed to be with their owners, full stop , end of story and I thought we all loved seeing the guide dogs around and about the place. A number of people here are a part of the programme to look after guide dogs or to care for puppies until they are ready to be trained. I truly feel embarrassed this has happened so I am not surprised Marie Ryan is angry and all businesses should be aware of special provisions for certain groups of people. In the end I think this will be a good lesson for us all but it's horrible Marie Ryan has had to be embarrassed like that. Most people don't know not to distract the dogs when they are in harness and how important it is to ask the owner whether to talk to the dog or not. I really did think we knew about them always being with the owner. I think we need to revisit a number of public knowledge things because I think we have hit the spot where we have taken some knowledge for granted.

No comments: