Translate

Monday, June 13, 2005

Smoke alarms

There have been some horrendous house fires lately both in NSW and I heard of another awful one in America today and I found out at the same time that the houses didn't have smoke alarms. I don't want to sound sactimonious or patronising because what has happened, and the tragic loss of young lives, is terrible. In SA we have compulsory smoke alarms. I thought all of Australia did, but obviously not. Like seat belts, they save lives. In new houses they have to be hard wired and in public buildings they are wired above the ceiling for safety reasons. I have two battery operated ones. I bought them at Bunnings for about $7 dollars each and they use a 9 volt battery each. Once a year I change the batteries. So, for virtually no cost, I can be warned very quickly of smoke. They work. I had to move my kitchen one into the dining room because steam from microwaved dishes would set it off. If I mow the lawn on a dusty day, the dust which has to travel and get through the screen door can set the one off at the front of the house. Yes, they can be annoying and you have to get up and pull the pin to reset it. On a stressful day it can be a bit much. But the thing is, for next to nothing, my family and my home is protected. So much cheaper than the Clipsal safety switch I had installed, but then again, the safety switch has paid for itself several times over by shutting down faulty equipment. All buildings should have smoke alarms and safety switches and if people can't afford them we should fund them through community agencies and fund raising. It makes so much sense than the terrible trauma which is breaking everyone's hearts at present. If nothing else, the smoke alarms raise the neighbours if people can't get out. We've got the technology, let's use it to give people a chance.

No comments: