Translate

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Love my radio!

At one stage people were talking about radio not surviving the onslaught of the internet. Don't think that's true. You can listen to it on the net if you want to. I do for overseas stations and really like it, but it's not always what I want to do. My radio stations fill up my life in various ways. I listen to 891 and Radio National in the morning and in the car on the way to and from work. I ring the changes by listening to regional radio like ABC North and West or 5MU. 5MU is particularly good because it takes a real interest in its region but highlights a lot of stuff going on around South Australia so that listeners know there are things worth knowing about at Victor Harbour or the Barossa Valley. It is really good at fostering a community interest and feel. It's also good to hear what is going on around the Port Pirie area because often there is a disconnect between city and country/regional people and radio does much to bridge that gap. Most of the stations cover topical and interesting information and they also take the time to talk to people who are doing great things or who have information to offer to help straighten out debates. When I want music I listen to Cruise in the car or Mix 102.3 or ABC FM on my lovely big old solid state amplifier with the massive speakers in the lounge.I have a micro hifi sytem of one sort or another in every room and they all get used and my colleagues, friends and family are all big radio listeners. We have some really good stations and good choice so it's a big part of our lives. If we are forced onto the net to listen , then we'll follow, but we love our tuners,micro systems, radios, iPod docks with radio and clock radios. Doesn't matter which age, we all like our radio and our favourite devices for tuning in.

1 comment: