Translate

Monday, February 16, 2009

Children's Cancer Institute

Every week 3 Australian children die of cancer. This is three too many. 500 are diagnosed every year , so our capacity to keep these chiildren alive and well is extraordinary. I am now a supporter of the Children's Cancer Institute and make a donation to them each year. I couldn't always do that and I haven't always been in the position where I could donate to organisations I thought were important. But gradually things have changed for me and gradually I have been able to do the things which I wanted to do. So I sponsor my child in Africa and have had great pleasure watching him grow and my latest pleasure is hearing from the Children's Cancer Institute when I donate. On their site they say they have a commitment to sponsors. This is is the first time I have been on their site. I know they have a commitment because when I make a donation I receive a letter telling me where my money has gone and what their plans are. It's an effective strategy on their part...let me know, keep me informed, be positive and, in return, I feel like I belong and am doing something worthwhile. I have had no personal experience with this disease. The only thing I can remember is my daughter had a friend at primary school whose three year old brother was diagnosed with cancer. I remember going to pick her up at the girl's house and the Mum was friendly but she was worried sick and the Dad was pleasant but he looked haggard. I guess their faces have haunted me a bit because no parent should have to face having a little child who is so sick.

No comments: