Translate

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Australia tops world for national brand

Australia tops world for national brand :

"Australia has the world's most marketable country brand, according to an index released in London at the World Travel Market."

Can you believe Australia is a brand name? Seriously? That a country name is its brand name and then it becomes a market commodity to be bought, sold traded...money, money,money. I suppose quantifying something has its value...Australia means this and this and this and therefore we can improve this and this and that. But seriously. I suppose we do it to everything these days. I may even be a brand. Okay so how do I quantify myself and what am I worth? Priceless? Worthless? 20,000,017th on the brandometer? Most people do love Australia when they visit. Some come back to live. Some find it a tricky place to get used to if they come to live here...then come back. It's not everyone's cup of tea...but when I am away the things I miss most are the gigantic gum trees, the do as you please within reason, the great eating places for any pocket, the big blue sky and the shopping. It's a place you can easily negotiate. We can be irreverend, we can seem naive, but we are not, we can have a bundle of laughs and we do seem to chit chat a lot and avoid serious issues. It's not actually the case...serious is not for the public arena and we don't think we should be dragging you down with serious talk. I love our creativity, our spark, our capacity to network seamlessly and our humour. When I go away I love the cultural traditions, the sense of history, the politeness and manners, the ease with which I am accepted, the enthusiasm others have for sharing their cultural traditions with me, the openness and the big conversations. I love the different sights and sounds of other places.I love their art and culture. I am not good at cold so it's not nice to find Australia getting colder. So I like to go to warm places and do what I used to do here ...hang around in my shorts and T shirt. I like the big rains and the rushing clean rivers I find in other places. I am good at big tropical rains!!

No comments: